Thursday, March 17, 2011

Remembering of My Grandmother

Everyone has their own personal moon, a special part of their life that touches their very soul.  This moon always shines on their faces; it’s always there in time of trouble, ready to listen. Sometimes the clouds try to hide it, but the moon is still there, penetrating the blanket to the faces below. In my life, this special noon is my grandmother.
My grandmother was more than just a traditional Vietnamese grandmother to me – she was the mother I never really had. Like the moon, her presence was constant; she was always there when I needed her.  She instilled in me important family values, giving me direction as a light on my path, guiding my feet.  Shaping me like a lump of clay into refined worked of art.  She radiated her joy and happiness through her smiles, lighting my dark world, never withholding her love from me. She always sang me to sleep, staying by my side like a beam of light on my pillow. When I was sick, she took good care of me and poured out her blessings. When I was upset, she comforted me with soothing words carried the wind.
But one day, her light dimmed like the fading light of sunset and it became a cold winter night. She knew that her time on earth was setting and that her light would soon disappear.  So she called all of her children to her side and imparted on as her last words, “ Cac con phai thuong yeu nhau va giup do lan nhau” which means “ my chidren must love and care for each other.” Everyone quietly, looked at each other and said, “we promise.”  Then, my grandma said to me “Con phai hua voi ba mot deu.” which means “ you must promise me one thing ..”, I quietly gazed on her face and she said, “ con phai di hoc, hoc cho gioi va vao dai hoc de lam hanh dien gia dinh” which means “ you must go to school, study hard and go to college, so that you can make the family happy and proud of you.”  I looked straight into her eyes and said “I promise.” She said, “Chau ngoan cua ba” which mean “that’s my grandchild!” and the n she closed her eyes, never to open them again.
After all these years, I am still working on my promise.  The day, when I graduate from Colorado State University will be the happiness of my life, because I will have finished my promise to my grandma. I can still see her radiating light. I know she is still somewhere out there, helping me to focus on school and fulfill my promise to her. As long as the moon still shines on my face the memory of my “mother” will always last in my heart.

17 comments:

  1. Such a very useful article. Very interesting to read this article.I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this awesome article. paper代写

    ReplyDelete
  2. Titanium Rose Mens
    Titanium Rose camillus titanium Mens - Shop today from Titi - China titanium sunglasses Titanium Rose titanium teeth dog Mens are genuine and they are designed for babyliss pro titanium you. Their quality has never titanium joes been better than in

    ReplyDelete